Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Mexico, check! Texas, check!

Carson and Jackson have been obsessed by the United States ever since I bought them a large US puzzle 3 years ago. They often talk about which state they would most like to live in and why. They have always wanted to visit Texas since it is SO big. Well this last week of winter vacation, I decided to go and visit my friend Lacie in New Mexico, just 5 minutes from the Texas border. It was a 10 hour drive and since the kids travel so well, I figured I could handle it on my own. Chad kindly offered to come, but I told him it wasn't necessary since Lacie's husband in not home very often, which is why I wanted to go in the first place. Besides, that last week of vacation starts to get a little boring when you are at home. This trip would spice things up a bit!
So we headed off on Monday morning and drove the long drive with no incidents and the kids did great! I'll say one thing about New Mexico: it is very flat and straight, making for an easy drive. Even the one section that goes up a mountain wasn't very curvy. Lacie and her sisters were waiting for us and didn't mind that I had been driving ALL day and had a night of games planned. We had a great time!
Lacie had a lot of family around so it made us feel at home. I was there over New Years so we celebrated with a big family get together at Lacie's house and ate her famous shredded beef tacos and played games all night. Carson even stayed up 'til midnight! Way to go, Carson! I was sad that Chad wasn't with us and my sister told me that it means bad luck for the new year if you don't kiss your significant other on New Years. Oops! The next day we drove to Lubbock, TX and went to the science center, saw a movie, then went to Lacie's sister Breana's for pizza. That was a great day! I will say another thing about New Mexico and Texas (at least Lubbock): it sure is WINDY! I don't know how people even function there! There is no point in putting any sort of effort into your hair and good luck opening and shutting your car door!

I REALLY blew it with taking pictures! I didn't take ANY! I don't know what I was thinking! I guess we were having too great of a time and didn't think of it. Anyways, here is Carson with Jaedin and Trenton at the science center in Lubbock. This is the 3rd one we have been to and the best so far! Thanks to Lacie for taking such good care of us! We miss having them live here in Coolidge and hanging out all the time.

It was sad to say good bye after 3 days of fun, but my poor sick hubby was missing us and Lauren wanted her daddy too. We headed back on Friday and the drive back was great once again. We made good time and we were all glad to see Chad (and grandpa and grandma) again!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

How fun! I love that you just pick up and go like that, awesome! Looks like you had a fun Christmas too!

Kathy’s Korner said...

I love visiting friends and fam, the drive kind of wears me out though. How fun for your kids. We talked to your dad tonight, they live on a differnt planet than you, with all the snow!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome your kids were good in the car. That is a looooong drive. I haven't attempted one that long with mine. Nice they are good travelers. Glad you had a fun trip.

Christy said...

I am totally jealous of your good traveler kids. My kids won't even sit through a movie, let alone a road trip. You earned it though after your crappy pregnancies! I hope Ressa is still single. DB is holding out for her.. Miss you guys!

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

Oh I miss Lacie so much. I glad you got to go see them! How fun!