Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oak Flat 2009

This Spring Break I REALLY wanted to go camping. Turns out, a few of my friends and family liked that idea and so Oak Flat 2009 was born! I have been wanting to try out our trailer that we got a few months ago for Elk Hunt 2008 and since it is not too hot yet, we didn't have to go very far. Yay! Oak Flat Campground is only 45 minutes away, just up past Superior, and so you are there before you know it. Not the most beatiful spot, but suited our needs just fine. Our friends and family that came included: the Perrins (my brother), Sharps (my sister), Larsons, Hansens, Carvers, Seveys, & the Wagstaffs. We had such a good time! It did get pretty cold at night, so some people didn't get the best night sleep. The 2nd night my brother heated up some rocks by the fire and wrapped them up and put in the bottom of their sleeping bag. Made them toasty warm! I must say that I really enjoyed the whole camping trailer, running water, flushing toilet, comfy bed thing. I did feel guilty for being so spoiled, but Chad and I have spent many-a-years doing the tent thing. Here is a picture...Here are the cousins playing a game in the trailer. Carson and Jackson love to play board games, plus it was a little chilly outside so they were smart and kept warm.
FOOD:
We assigned each family to be in charge of one meal which made mealtime go smoothly and there was plenty of delicious food! Carvers made pancakes w/ strawberrys and cream, hashbrowns, and eggs. Hansens made wheat pancakes and Lucy's yummy buttermilk syrup, sausage, bacon and the tastiest potatoes ever! Wagstaffs and Sharps had yummy sandwiches and fruit for their lunches and Bruce Larson made hamburgers one day that we gobbled up. The Perrins made BBQ pork and a variety of salads for our first dinner and Chad and I did dutch oven chicken, potatoes, biscuits, and cherry & peach cobbler the 2nd night. I have a nice grease burn on my right hand to prove it! Thank you, again, Walt, for your first aid skills! At least it got me out of doing dishes for the rest of the time! Here are some pics of mealtime...
Try not to look too thrilled, babe!

Lauren is never happier than when she is eating!


Jennifer making sure her girls are getting enough to eat. I just loved Audrie and Hayley's camping hats!


Doesn't that look scrumptious? Thanks, Tyler & Diana! I was helping Jackson get his plate that morning and I told him to pick out a pancake. He took one and put it on his plate and said matter-a-factly, "This is the best pancake I have ever seen." I said, "Wow, Jackson. The best ever, huh?" That embarassed him, so he recanted, "Not really." But Tyler was standing right there and heard it all. I know he was beaming with pride on the inside.


This is Abbi and Sloan Wagstaff. I was so glad that my friends Carmen and Brandon came. They had a "blast" as Brandon would say, and they are excellent campers!



Even though we had lots of friends there, I was glad to be able to spend time with my two sibs that live here in Mesa. We have camped and vacationed with eachother on many occasions since living down here. We always have fun together and they mean so much to me!



Here is Lucy makin' the yummy pancakes!


Aren't these two girls sweet? Ressa was so lucky to have Sloan, Bo, and Audrie to play with the whole time. They all got along so well!

Elsie Hansen is so cute in this picture! She was such a trooper the whole time and let us all get to hold her and give her mom a break.


Cousins Bo and Max! Notice the sunburned cheeks. We were all sporting that same look by the end of the weekend!

This was Adam and Melissa Sevey's first time camping! We were so glad they came, and here is little Emily all bundled up. They had a good time, except for being cold.
FIRE:

Carrie and Nathan. Nathan is being impatient that I am taking so long to take the picture!


Lucy and Elsie.

The nights got cold so the campfire was the popular hangout. The kids roasted marshmallows and threw sticks in the fire to keep it going. Chad brought his dad's chainsaw so that proved very useful. After the kids were all in bed, we wanted to play games, but no one was willing to leave the fire to play cards. So we decided to play "Mafia"(or Murder) so we could all stay put. We played both nights and had a lot of fun. Some things we learned are the Sarah is the Elliot Ness of policmen, Aaron makes a lousy narrator (he was fired after two tries), Carrie is ALWAYS a citizen, even if she is a Mafia/citizen, Adam REALLY is always a citizen, Chad and Nathan are horrible at being the Mafia together, and Jennifer is the sweetest mafia, and Carmen forgets who she is altogether! Good times!

More FUN and GAMES:
We had a Skittles tournament the 2nd day. This a game that my family grew up playing at my Uncle K's house and Carrie found it online so now we love to play. It is a fun game and some of the older kids are even getting the hang of it!






4-WHEELIN':
We brought up one quad and Nathan brought another. With 20 little kids chompin' at the bit, those two quads were running non-stop! Well, as long as they could talk an adult into taking them! When Tyler showed up on Friday, we were so glad to have a break and he was more than willing to take over! I love this picture and Spencer is really driving by himself! I think they rode for 2 hours straight!

























































































































































































































































































































































5 comments:

Diana Carver Photography said...

Sarah we had so much fun, Spencer woke up and asked today to go camping!

The Husted Handful said...

Looks like you all had fun!!

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

How Fun!! I am jealous!! A good camping trip sounds like so much fun!!!

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

I wanna go!! Looks like you guys had a great time! Next time you go you will have to call us, we love camping!

Marci McLain said...

Looks like you had a great time!!makes me almost think camping could be fun!!