Monday, June 1, 2009

Piano Man














Carson has been taking piano lessons from a lady in our ward, Tammy Judd, for about 8 months? I really have no idea when he started... Anyways, Carson hadn't been showing much interest in sports as he got older but I wanted to get him involved in something that he could feel good about. He is very mathmatical and a bit of a perfectionist, so I thought that piano might be a good fit. I am the exact opposite of mathmatical and I was NOT good at piano, so you can how I came up with this idea. So Carson has taken to the piano rather well, practices on his own, a good sight reader, and takes it seriously.



After his first lesson, I asked him how it went and he said he liked it but that he was NOT going to play in the recital. The recital was to be held 5 months from then, so I felt confident that he would come around by then. Carson is pretty shy and still will not sing above a whisper in primary or even at home during Family Home Evening. Thankfully, when recital time came, Carson was nervous but willing. I have to say that I was so proud that he had such good posture and composure!
He played so well and overcame his nerves! I am thrilled that piano has been a good fit for him and I hope that he continues to enjoy playing. My memories of piano lessons and recitals were a bit dreary and frightening, so I am so grateful to Tammy for being such a kind and supportive teacher for Carson. He wouldn't have lasted ONE day with my old teacher! I remember having to give my recital up on a stage on a grand piano and thinking I would pass out.
A few months ago. I was talking to the kids in the car, and pointed out how great it was that each child had their own, fun thing that they were doing. Ressa was taking dance, Jackson was playing soccer, and Carson had piano. Carson clarified that although he did like piano, he wouldn't necessarily call it "fun". I did appreciate the difference and thought it was very funny that he did also.

I love you, Carson, and I am very proud of you!





No comments: