Sunday, August 9, 2009

Just fishin'...

Fishing? I prefer to call it "casting", 'cause that is what we are really talking about, isn't it? It has been so long since we have actually caught anything, I suspect the kids think we are just toying with them. And I feel the worse for Chad. When I met Chad 11 years ago, he had such a love for the sport. He even took me fishing on our 3rd date, my first time ever, up at Black River. This picture below perfectly illustrates the main reason his passion for fishing has faded. Kids.

He is forever fixing twisted lines, freeing hooks from unseen rocks and branches, baiting hooks, giving instructions and repairing poles. By the time he gets a chance to fish, we are all hungry and tired and ready to call it a day. Poor guy. And when he is given the opportunity to go by himself, he doesn't seem interested. What have we done to him? Maybe when he is 60 and retired he can rekindle the flame...

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the action pack sport of "casting"...














Let's be honest here. Lauren and Grayson don't get along a majority of the time. They are the same age, born on the same day. Both are stubborn, smart, and independent. But once in a while, the planets align, and they are best buds. This outing produced such an occasion as the two shared a fishing pole. Yes, you heard me right! Shared! One would take a turn at casting and reeling in while the other patiently waited, even giving a supportive cheer at times. After that turn was over, the other would say "my turn" and they would exchange. This went on for some time while Hollie and I observed with wonder. What a great day!


I don't know what Lauren is doing here, but it sure is cute! I think she might be trying to see her dad and siblings down the shoreline. I sure wish binoculars really worked like that.


Hollie and I got the younger kids to take a break and let us take some pictures. Here are some cute ones...




Bret, Hollie, Elaine, and Mabel on the sidelines.

Grandpa Rowley has two brothers that look just like him, so when they come to visit, Lauren thinks she has 3 grandpas to spoil her. And they do! Here is Uncle John with one very happy girl on his lap.

Mabel - the prettiest girl in town....

And usually the dirtiest when we are camping!






























.

4 comments:

Diana Carver Photography said...

Hey you updated! Chad should take them to the Anthem pond next to the park. Tyler swear that the kids spend more time unhooking the fish than anything else.

Danielle said...

Still partying, I see! Looks like great fun!

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

Glad to see you are finally back to the blogging world!

Sorry no fish! At least you had some good quality family time together!

Hollie said...

Love this post! And not just because my kids are in it...
That picture of Lauren with her nose all scrunched up is too cute!