Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 1: Philmont

What an incredible week! I admit I was not super excited to go to a Scout Training Camp for a whole week and didn't expect a whole lot. But that is kinda how I roll, expect the worst and you will always be pleasantly surprised. We arrived at Philmont in New Mexico and were greeted by President Beck, the General Young Mens President and Sister Wixom, the General Primary President. Everyone was so welcoming and excited to see so many families, the most young children they have ever had. So many families came with little babies and I saw several pregnant mothers there. I admired (but did not envy) these amazing women! After registration we found our three tents that were assigned to our family. Here are the girls in their tent!


Jackson in his tent trying out his new hiking sticks he got for his 11th birthday.


Here we are in our tent the first day, the only day we really hung out in our tent. The rest of the week was unseasonably warm and our tents turned into little ovens.



Ressa discovered a love for photography and took a ton of pictures! It was nice not to be the only one taking pictures!






Poor Lauren came down with food poisoning the first night at Philmont and threw up about 6 times. She slept off and on all Sunday, which worked out ok cause there wasn't much going on that day. Sure enough, she was all better the next day and good to go!


Carson and Jackson participated in a flag ceremony one morning and here they are with the General YM and General Primary Pres.

Some of my new friends!


The kids has a parade with costumes that we made in the craft room. There were so many creative costumes! Carson and Jackson chose to pass on dressing up and I was happy to only have to make 2 costumes. Win-Win.





I talked Chad into going on a sunrise hike up to Lover's Leap at 4:30am. We left the kids asleep in their tents and snuck off with a group of couples. It was a nice hike and it was cool! 



The kids went off into their age groups each day for their activities/games. They rode horses, went on hikes, and did crafts throughout the week.



Lauren and her bestest buddie, Shelby from Wyoming.


Ressa and Kensley

On the last night all the wives got up and wore the gift the general wives gave us, towel turbans, and sang a silly song about our week at Philmont. I met so many amazing, inspiring women who I will always remember! I learned so much from them and feel more prepared to support my husband in his leadership callings and can honestly say I have gained a testimony of the scouting program and Duty to God. I am so excited to share what I have learned with others! I loved living in a tent community with like-minded people! I wish the week would have lasted longer!

No comments: