Monday, December 1, 2008

Carson

When Carson and Jackson were baptised last July, we gave them each their own set of scriptures. They were both excited and always remember to take them to church and take good care of them. About 4 months ago, Carson started reading the Bible from the very beginning. He is a good reader but I know there are tons of tough names and some words that he doesn't know. He started off slow and would read a little each day. He would announce to me that he had finished such and such book and was starting a new one and how many pages this book had and so on. He says things like...

"Did you know that Daniel and the Lions Den is on page 1,099?"
"There are 1,590 pages in the Bible."
"Mom, I finished the Old Testament and am now reading the New Testament."

Carson loves numbers and thinks about them all the time. I know, he must get it from his father, right? Well, now he reads a lot more and doesn't want to do much else. School gets in the way of this, but he will take the scriptures in the car and leave them there so that when I pick him up they are there waiting for him.
He reads standing up before school, after school, before bed. He tries to read during dinner sometimes but I won't let him. I find myself saying rediculous things like...

"Carson, close your scriptures and eat your dinner."
"Put your book down and put on your shoes. It is easier with two hands!"
"Please, stop reading your scriptures and get dressed for school."

Me: "Don't you want to go to your grandma's house while I go to a meeting?"
Carson: "Do I have to?"
Me: "You can take your scriptures with you."
Carson: "I can? O.K.!"


This is such an unusual obsession for an 8 year old, but I don't mind! Carson is such a great kid, so sweet and kind. He is a good example to me. He is now reading the Book of Ether in the Book of Mormon, which ironically is where I am at and I have been reading the B of M all year! If only I was as obsessed with reading the scriptures as I was with reading the Twilight series!
I love you, Carson!

4 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

What a special post. Way to set a good example Carson!

Marci McLain said...

That is so awesome! You go Carson!! Keep it up.

uniquelynat said...

that is sooo great! i started reading the bible in july and want to finish it in a year.....i'm still in exodous! pathetic i know. specially when an 8 year old can read it that quickly. what an amazing little boy you have. i need to develop that kind of love for reading my scriptures.

Danielle said...

What an awesome 8 year old! You know, behind every awesome 8 year old is an awesome mom! Way to go, both of you!!